Monday, August 24, 2009

True Character

by CJ Galdes: I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel down to Cincinnati for the Sean Hannity Freedom Concert. As many of you know, the majority of the proceeds from the concert goes to The Freedom Alliance, an organization set up by Oliver North to aid families put a child in college if they have lost a military father. Oliver North was a speaker at the concert but also had a book signing scheduled for his new book "American Hero's." I knew right away that this was something I had to participate in. I purchased my book early in the day and stored it away for later when the book signing was set up. Unfortunately, since I was participating in other Freedom Concert events I arrived at the book signing a few minutes late.

I was very rudely greeted by a security guard who explained that she was told to cut off the line because Ollie would not have time to sign any more books. However, I saw a line of about 20 people after where the security guard was supposedly cutting off the line. After talking to a few people I concluded that they weren't supposed to be there, but nobody was stopping them and they were going to wait and see if there was time left for him to get to a few more books. It took about an hour of waiting before we were at the front of the line. At this time two more security guards told us to just leave. Instead we decided to patiently continue to wait even though at this point we had given up almost all hope. Just when it looked like Ollie was going to pack up, to our surprise he looked back at us. He whispered something into his assistants ear and without hesitation said he would continue signing. The line went crazy!

Sure enough, I got my book signed and a few pictures with him to go along with it. More importantly, to me this was the greatest display of compassion I had ever seen. He could have just as easily left and went on with his day. He is a very busy man. Later that night, he would go on to do an interview on the Sean Hannity Show. He then would speak in front of a huge crowd at the Freedom Concert. The next morning would be a plane ride to Atlanta where he would do it all over again there. And last but not least he would be off to Afghanistan to shoot his Fox News series for the next month. On top of all that, he decided to sign the books of 50 people and put a smile on our faces.

Tags: character, CJ Galdes, Freedom Concert, Sean Hannity To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to Conservative Voices. Thanks!

No comments: